Geiger Counter + Gamma spectrum analyzer under 10€

More
8 years 10 months ago #1201 by Bert490
This does seem to promise easier/cheaper Gamma detection than a smart phone. The larger area and known characteristics/shelding should make it more useful for higher energy detection. GM tubes must be more sensitive due to the high voltage avalanche feature.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #1204 by DExUS
My software currently has no compensation for the photodiode characteristic. I'd like to include it, however I was not able to google out something definitive.
However the data gathered are stored in easy readable numbers that can be processed any way.

More
8 years 10 months ago #1205 by Frank
Despite the cons about it, it is a interesting project. I have seen some pin diode units on ebay. :)

More
8 years 10 months ago #1212 by Bert490
In fact, I just noticed that Radlog station Vinkx in Kapellen, Belgium is using a Rasp.Pi 2 with two X100-7 PIN diode sensor boards.

More
8 years 10 months ago #1213 by DExUS
Sure, but those diodes are expensive, one costs around 100$.
And they are designed to be gamma detectors.
The diodes in the circuit I had posted can be changed for anything you like and I am sure it can be improved with some more expensive and and more sensitive photo diode.

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #4779 by GetSirius
I found this on DExUS' website, then found it here. Thank you DExUS.
Built the circuit a few days ago and tested today. Seems to be doing some kind of signal level recording. I know little about this! I assume the numbers given for Channels are just that, channels showing the audio level of each hit, not actual keV. The numbers change when different Channel is selected (512, 1024). Not sure DExUS visits this website since the last log in was years ago, anyone have some guidance as to what I am seeing? The images are data from a thorium lantern mantle recorded 4 hours, 27 minutes. Also potassium Chloride recorded for 13 hours.
Perhaps I need to test a few items that I can find spectrum graphs for, then compare to my graph so I can guess keV numbers.

Mineral Point radiation/lightning monitor: getsirius.com/radiation
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by GetSirius. Reason: Add images

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds