Problem with new counter.

More
4 years 2 months ago #5024 by FSM19
Tried a new setup today using one of the aliexpress geiger counters. Seemed very unstable, when hooked up to an arduino, counts anywhere from zero to 200. The tube is covered to exclude light. The idea is to run it remotely with the arduino etc indoors. Also when I tried to connect to Radmon I got zero counts showing. Immedfately after that we had a very brief power outage, which didn't affect everything, for example the microwave clock was fine, but my PC went haywire, and my usual geiger counter failed to reset and went offline.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #5026 by FSM19
Replied by FSM19 on topic Problem with new counter.
Hopefully its largely sorted. The irregular counts were due to the poor quality of the tube clips, the metal is really too soft, it needs to be far springier. The failure of the data upload was due to a finger error in the sketch. All seems OK now. Nothing I can do about the voltage outages that's something that happens when you live in a rural area. The remote tube will go out in a week or so when I can find a suitable watertight enclosure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mw0uzo

More
4 years 2 months ago #5028 by FSM19
Silly counts today due to that shaky tube holder, I moved it just a few inches! Should be OK for a while now.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #5034 by Bert490
Replied by Bert490 on topic Problem with new counter.
I have used the clips from a fuse holder (30 mm glass type) to hold an SBM20 tube. Something like
*these* on Amazon
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Bert490.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FSM19

More
4 years 2 months ago #5035 by FSM19
That's what these look like, but they are obviously made from something that is really soft. I actually have some of those clips somewhere.

More
4 years 2 months ago #5084 by FSM19
Almost finished my new setup with an external probe. going live in a few minutes.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.344 seconds