Oxydation and female pin headers problems

More
9 years 4 days ago #1082 by Xfrog
Hello,

I got failure with my 2 years old geiger station due to contact oxydation and female pin headers problems.

My station was a homebraw diy kit + Arduino with ethernad pad connected with wires. Unfortunately, oxydation started to randomly create contact problems. It was issued with F2 contact spray.

The second problem added many questions about the origin of random working state of my ethernet board. Mainly it's because of femalle pin headers bad quality. If you break a single row square female pin header, you will find the origin of random behaviour in your electronic DIY board.

Wires connected on female pin header quite a long time would increase rate of female pin deformation and lost of contact.

I guess it could be usefull to know that because we find many of this female pin header on the market. Most arduino board are made of.

Best regards
Xfrog
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 days ago #1085 by mw0uzo
This is why any geiger counter in a loft, outside or away from your typical heated indoor environment needs to be in a watertight sealed case. Or it will have a lifetime of about a year...

More
9 years 3 days ago #1091 by Frank
Hum, I have my GMC-200 outside, inside one of them temp/hum radiation shields you use for weather station sensors. I didn't seal up the case of the GMC-200, it is protected by the enclosure and has been running out there since I started here. Maybe I should pull the unit this weekend for the heck of it and check out the electronics just to be sure, but readings have been flawless so far, but still worth a check.. :dry:

More
9 years 3 days ago - 9 years 3 days ago #1093 by mw0uzo
It will vary on the parts used, but def. after 2 years of being outside the corrosion will be noticeable. If the pins aren't very good quality then they will rust fairly quickly. Same goes for any sockets etc.
Last edit: 9 years 3 days ago by mw0uzo.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds