Recovering bad sealed lead acid batteries

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #1108 by mw0uzo
~8hrs later charging at 900mA. Battery cooled in water bath. The top seemed to be heating so I removed some of the excess electrolyte as it was clearly overfilled, down to the plates with a syringe and a cut of piece of spray can squirty tube. Got several ml out of each cell, so there's some acid gone. I've kept it to put it back in if it works or for disposal. Check of off charge voltage after settling down period several times today was not good, 10.4, 10.5, 10.8. The only glimmer of hope was that after all this excess charging the off charge voltage was 11V, so that is slowly increasing and that the battery is able to deliver plenty of current on discharge. If it was not I would abandon this experiment. Its possible the conversion of damaged plate into active material is taking more energy than expected, if that is occuring.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by mw0uzo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #1109 by Juzzie
seems like a dead cell. Is there much voltage drop under load?

Owner and operator of "southofhobart" monitoring stations.

More
8 years 11 months ago #1112 by mw0uzo
Yeah this battery is dead. Came back this morning to 9V across it with 200mA charge rate, so it has discharged itself. I have probably killed it even more with the high charge rate.

Experiment ended: FAIL

More
8 years 11 months ago #1113 by Juzzie
oh well, it's worth a try: SUCCESS!

:)

Owner and operator of "southofhobart" monitoring stations.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #1115 by mw0uzo
Haha yes. Well in light of this next time I will add drips of water very slowly and avoid filling the cell. I also bought a desulphator cheap from china and will try the slow way. I have an old but unused car battery that probably needs some ... uh.. 'love'.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by mw0uzo.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds