GM Probe

• Sonarflash
  • Sonarflash's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Blind since 1966 - 51+ years with insight.
More
8 years 5 months ago #1537 by Sonarflash
GM Probe was created by Sonarflash
A few years ago, I purchased a Lionel CDV 6B detector from Doug Moore, a GCE member. He tossed in several extras, sending them to me from the USA. One was an empty, spare CDV stainless/chrome probe housing. It has been sitting here for over three years now. I just tried putting my newest Russian SBM-20 inside the very robust housing, and it fits. With a few modifications, like wrapping some foam and tape around the top and bottom of the SBM-20, I can envision making a probe with this 'Cold War' Soviet tube in the American Civil Defense CDV housing ... grin. Who would have thunk it!

instead of the American socket for a 3 prong tube, one could just solder a 4.7 or 10 meg resistor to the anode 'grid cap' and connect this to a coax lead that is grounded to the probe wall. If one wanted to do this with a CDV-700 900VDC detector, there are circuits available on the Yahoo GCE forum. Some kind of visual schematic of a voltage divider/zener voltage reduction system.

Since I will likely never make use of this CDV-700 probe, I might as well offer it to experimenters, if anybody is interested, the empty, SS CDV-700 probe housing is available free, sort-of, if you pay postage/shipping cost.

VA7BDG, Brian, Sonarflash
The following user(s) said Thank You: W8HF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1538 by W8HF
Replied by W8HF on topic GM Probe
I actually would have a use for that housing! If it is still available.
Send me a PM.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1569 by W8HF
Replied by W8HF on topic GM Probe
Probe arrived today! Thank you thank you thank you. I plan to use it to make an external probe for my Mighty Ohm Geiger kit. :)

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds