Different GM tubes see things differently.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #2529 by Juzzie
Different GM tubes see things differently.

For the past few months I have had my three monitoring stations in the same location, and since they all have different GM tubes we will be able to make some interesting comparisons.

See the Month charts below for stations southofhobart, southofhobart2 and southofhobart3 respectively. The data in each chart is for the same time period.

2x SBM-20 attached to an air filter (top), 1x SBM-19 (centre) and 4x SI-180g (bottom)

And weekly charts for the same stations below - even more variation

2x SBM-20 attached to an air filter (top), 1x SBM-19 (centre) and 4x SI-180g (bottom)

Owner and operator of "southofhobart" monitoring stations.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Juzzie. Reason: held to ransom by photobucket
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sonarflash, Simomax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2532 by Simomax
I have thought that to be the case, thanks for confirming it. :)

I have played about with a handful of GM tubes and besides the difference in sensitivity, some seem to pick up Beta more than others, same goes for Gamma. I didn't really think that different GM tubes would pick up background radiation so differently though, sensitivity aside. Maybe some behave differently with muons?

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #2534 by Bert490
That's really interesting, thanks for this. It seems to show how the filter extends the duration of the detected particles, probably due to the fact that many of these decay products are charged and 'sticky' as a result.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Bert490.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #2536 by Juzzie
Simomax, they probably do have differing sensitivities to muons, just like they do with beta and gamma. The surface area, thickness and composition of the GM tube walls, the anode size, orientation and perhaps coating.
The over-all count rate of any given tube seems to largely be governed by the tube surface area.

Bert490, I saw that too. Those sticky radon daughters, they just hang around in the filter decaying away.
I think the filter is a fairly accurate account of the dose that must be accumulating in your lungs. :blink:

Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Juzzie.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #2554 by Juzzie
The air filter used for the charts above is pictured below.

Installed under my (solar) battery house eave.

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Juzzie. Reason: held to ransom by photobucket

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds