Hi , i would like to join , PIN diode geiger counter.

More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #916 by Vinkx
I just build a geigercounter from 2 pocket radiation-watch embedded sensors and an raspberry pi 2 counting them.
These are break out boards with a PIN diode and amplifier on it.
So basically all the raspberry pi has to do is count :) (and make some graphs)

I used 2 sensors because the sensors seem a bit blind.
Even with 2 sensors i only get about 8 to 9 CPM. Calculating the uSv/h with the factor uses by the manufacturer i get around 0.07 uSv/h.
This correlates nicely with the official background radiation.

Currently i have it logging data to my own website : http://dirkscloud.myds.me/doel/

I would like to attempt to use your network to send data (using a modified pyradmon.py script)
What would be the required way to send the data ? Can i send in uSv/h or do i need to "translate" my PIN diode CPM to SBM-20 CPM

How can i obtain a username an password to login to the submitting server ?
My coordinates are 51.301756 and 4.424781

EDIT: ok in the mean time i have found out i probably can set up most parameters with the radlog software on a PC , and then use a small python script to send cpm and timestamp data every 5 minutes or so....
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by Vinkx. Reason: im getting smarter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 week ago #923 by mw0uzo
Hi Vinkx
Welcome to radmon.org!

I've just got back from getting some servers for radmon.org, a long drive. Got to have dinner and put the kids to bed then will add you to the system later on this evening.

More
9 years 6 days ago #925 by Vinkx
no worries , im still coding the link between the geigercounter (raspberry) and radmon.org .
I was hoping to implement that on my NAS , but that requires all kinds of tricks and hacks wich i dont know will remain in place if the nas software gets update.
Luckely i have a mac mini thats on 24/7 doing mostly nothing (abandoned minecraft server project) so it will get one more thing to do.

More
9 years 6 days ago #926 by Frank
I have seen thes types of counters, there is one on ebay, has 3 sensors, wondered how they work and how good they are, seller states they are more sensitive that the tube versions. :dry:

More
9 years 6 days ago #927 by mw0uzo
Ok your account is active, check your PMs for the password. Welcome!

More
9 years 6 days ago - 9 years 6 days ago #928 by Vinkx
Mine uses the X100-7 sensor from "first sensor"
conversion factor to go from CPM to uSv/u is about 0.0189

So that is a lot less sensitive then a SBM-20 at 0.0057
I would need 3 of them to get in the same ballpark as a SBM-20
So price vs performance they are not really worth it.
If i realised beforhand i was going to need more then one sensor to get a decent CMP for background radiation i never would have bought 1.

For the rest since mine came on a bob with an amplifier already on it they are pretty easy to use.
I just had to hook them up to a raspberry pi to start counting.

One other thing , the boards i have are sensitive to vibration and even loud noises.
There is a noise detetection and a radiation detection output on them.
When both go up that counts as a false positive and has to be discarded.
i guess CPM will be compromised when moving the the detector a lot like in a car.
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 6 days ago by Vinkx. Reason: its SBM-20

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds