Hello from New England

More
6 years 1 month ago #3856 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Hello from New England
Hey Drew, whats up with your station? your in the RED, 46000 cpm yet your chart looks ok.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #3865 by KB1JPW
Replied by KB1JPW on topic Hello from New England
Yeah, I have no idea. I took it down until I could look deeper. Reboot of all things didn't fix it so will dig in. Running ham gear I heard can cause issues with RF but I wasn't transmitting then either. The rate was reporting somewhere equivalent to Fukushima and we're all still fine here and nothing had fallen off. :) .

I tried running again just now and it ran fine for 15 minutes and then spiked to 56,000 CPM and has stayed there between 56 and 57k. I have no idea what's going on.

More
4 years 9 months ago #4465 by KB1JPW
I'm now ~3 miles from the power plant now - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seabrook_Station_Nuclear_Power_Plant

I moved out to the coast this past winter and now have almost a line of sight to the plant. NH only has about 17 miles of coastline so we're going to be close to the plant no matter where we ended up. I'm now running a GMC-320 Plus on a raspi. The interesting thing about living here is that the background radiation is much less than the house 40 miles inland. It's probably due to there being less granite under us here. Glad to have the monitor station back up and running....

Drew
N1AFF
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #4466 by Frank
Hey Drew, welcome back. I've been all alone here up in the northeast. Did have a couple of folks for some time but faded away. I'll still out here counting away. Must be weird living so close to a plant? I've been up there a few times for seafood and always brought one of my detectors with me. Don't know why, not like I'm going to pick up anything, just brought it for some reason. That's cool how you did that map with your detector in it. Mind letting me know how you did that? Actually, would be cool if it was a bit wider and be able to see my station as well. Then I/we could use the same map on my radiation webpage which is part of my weather page I have online. Anyways, nice to see you back and will be keeping an eye on you station now. Frank

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #4468 by KB1JPW
Frank, thanks... I've still been here, just not officially reporting :)

It's not that weird actually. When I lived in Raleigh NC I used to ride my bike right up to the cooling towers back in the day. The part that is different is that we're actually allowed to get potassium iodide tablets for free to cover family members and pets.

As to the map, I just took the one on the main page - http://radmon.org/index.php and zoomed in just far enough to show the power plant and my location. I then just took a screen shot of that part of the map.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by KB1JPW.

More
4 years 9 months ago #4475 by Frank
Hi, oh ok, ya, there use to be a few of us up in the area. Glad to see you back online. So the sceen shot is just that, is the station fat live or just part of the screen shot. Wish we could get an actual area shot of our stations, live readings and show it on my webpage. I miss the tabs we use to have on the top of the main map that showed just country of interest and allowed us to plot it on our webpages.That's pretty cool that you were able ride right up to the cooling towers, I'd be a little jumpy myself doing that. But guess you'd get use to it.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds