Greetings

More
5 years 6 months ago #4028 by audiokaos
Greetings was created by audiokaos
Hello All-

Just signed up, but have been following this site for several years. Had some time & am putting together a monitor for Ajax, Ontario. This is a suburb of Toronto, located next to Pickering Nuclear reactor & Darlington Reactor to the east. I'm hoping this makes for very boring readings still...:)

Currently getting 25CPM, a bit higher than the station in Toronto. These tings are a bit of an addition when you get one aren't they?

Will be submitting readings to this site & aprs (I'm VE3KUT) once I sort out a level converter... Then to move it to the pi...:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #4029 by mw0uzo
Replied by mw0uzo on topic Greetings
Welcome to radmon.org audiokaos!
Great to have you here, you have a good location for background monitoring.
You've given me an idea, to put the ability to have a photo in the information box on the map and maybe some more description.
Your station would make an interesting marker.

More
5 years 6 months ago #4035 by audiokaos
Replied by audiokaos on topic Greetings
Thanks mw0uzo-

It would be interesting to see what is nearby some of the sites indeed. Would be neat to see any corrilation with rates vs what's nearby. If it helps, you can find the locations here of the two reactors, along with the other power generating ones here for Canada. Three of the five are here in Ontario, with the third being approx 208Km (129miles) from me.

https://www.nuclearsafety.gc.ca/eng/resources/maps-of-nuclear-facilities/results.cfm?category=nuclear-power-plants

This is just a filtered version of all nuclear facilaties here. The 'raw' one is here-

https://www.nuclearsafety.gc.ca/eng/resources/maps-of-nuclear-facilities/results.cfm

There are a few kicking about...

More
5 years 6 months ago #4045 by Bert490
Replied by Bert490 on topic Greetings
Welcome! I attended soccer matches within a stone's throw of the Pickering Reactors some years ago, and brought my Geiger counter on multiple occasions, thinking there would be at least a small increase above ambient, but I never saw that; there was no measurable difference. The government's published data show a tiny but measurable increase for specific isotopes near Pickering but not near Darlington (see Dose data from fixed point network ). That data is always months old, but more general readings at near-real-time are on the EU world map: Eurdep simple map .

More
5 years 6 months ago #4048 by audiokaos
Thanks Bert490! Good to hear that about the reactors. Hopefully things have stayed that way. They make for fine neighbors, but the more independent numbers on them the better I think. Thanks for the links- Will make for some good reading today.

More
5 years 6 months ago #4061 by audiokaos
Well, Ajax now has a point with a number...:) If anyone can see anything odd, or should be done differently, please let me know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mw0uzo

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds