Arduino geiger counter bundle (Ebay special!)

More
6 years 9 months ago #3387 by ChrisLX200
This looks to be based on John's (Brohogan on here?) design, being sold pre-built complete with SBT-11A tube and socket, also has a small TV remote. You can find it offered for sale on ebay and it takes a couple of weeks to arrive from Lithuania to the UK. Postage included in the price. It turned up in a small envelope carefully wrapped and when plugged together it immediately worked as expected. I had to go download the Pololu USB/Serial driver then it connected to my PC straight away. I had already 3D printed a case for it but looking at it I can't see it fitting! That will need a re-design I think. It can be powered either using a 9V battery or the USB connection. Anyway, the SBT-11A really takes off when exposed to an americium241 source, other than that I've done no testing with it. I'd like it boxed up first before really exploring its capabilities.

A few pics of it straight out the envelope and powered up:

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #3395 by ChrisLX200
Have now installed the SBT-11A in a 3D printed 'wand'. Used some nice 5mm 2-core silicone cable for flexibility. I feel a bit happier now the delicate mica window is better protected.

Attachments:

More
6 years 8 months ago #3409 by ChrisLX200
Have now boxed the main board in a 3D printed ABS box, so it's well protected from intrusive fingers :-) Well, there is some high voltage around and it would bite if careless..

Photo:

ChrisH
Attachments:

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #3411 by ChrisLX200
Testing some hot sources with this kit. Note the SBT-11A probe is now connected to the detector using plu/socket rather than directly wired into the PCB. This will allow me to quickly change probes in future.

ChrisH
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by ChrisLX200.

More
6 years 8 months ago #3420 by mw0uzo
Ah, that 3D printed wand is cool. I'll have to take a look to see if there's anything for the SBM-20 or others....
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChrisLX200

More
6 years 8 months ago #3425 by ChrisLX200

Ah, that 3D printed wand is cool. I'll have to take a look to see if there's anything for the SBM-20 or others....

Plenty of examples available for pancake-type detectors - which are the type you really need the ability to sweep around with (i.e., alpha sensitive). Also for many geiger counter cases that contain SB20 (etc.,) tubes plus the detector electronics. However, if you have experience with SketchUp (or similar) it's a breeze to design your own. Having something already available on Thingiverse is just a time saver. Unfortunately (and in my experience) It's often difficlt to edit the published designs should you want to customise them because they normally only provide the STL print files rather than the drawing file, and importing the STL file into SketchUp usually makes a mess which requires a lot of time and effort to repair to make it printable again. So unless it is a really complex part which you know is perfect for your needs then it's normally just easier to design your own.

ChrisH

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds