5.5 tons of radioactive water leaked from Fukushima nuclear plant

• Simomax
  • Simomax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Nuts about radioactive everything!
More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #6870 by Simomax
5.5 tons of radioactive water leaked from Fukushima nuclear plant

TOKYO -- Approximately 5.5 tons of water containing radioactive materials have leaked from an equipment at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, local media reported Wednesday.

At about 8:53 am local time on Wednesday, workers discovered water leaking from the outlet of a device used to purify nuclear-contaminated water during the inspection of the equipment, Fukushima Central Television reported, citing the plant's operator Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO).

TEPCO estimates that the amount of water that leaked was approximately 5.5 tons, which may contain 22 billion becquerels of radioactive materials such as cesium and strontium, the report said.

Most of the leaked water appeared to have seeped into the soil, but monitoring of a nearby drainage channel did not show any significant radiation level changes, it added.

TEPCO has made the area where the water was leaked a no-go area.

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202402/07/WS65c35af9a3104efcbdaea423.html
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Simomax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Simomax
More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #6871 by Simomax
Latest Fukushima leak exposes failures in nuclear crisis management

The leakage of about 5.5 tons of water containing radioactive materials from the plant also highlights the need for international supervision of Japan's controversial discharge of the Fukushima nuclear-contaminated water into the ocean.

It is estimated that 22 billion becquerels of radioactive materials such as cesium and strontium are contained in the leaked water, and the plant's operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), claimed on Wednesday that monitoring of a nearby drainage channel did not show any significant radiation level changes.

This begs the question: What constitutes a "significant" level?

The leak on Wednesday stemmed from a valve left open during cleaning operations, while the October incident resulted from a loose hose channeling contaminated solutions. In August, TEPCO attributed a leak to cracks approximately four centimeters in length found in a hose.

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202402/12/WS65c9eda7a3104efcbdaeab75.html
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Simomax.

More
2 months 1 week ago #6877 by Bert490
Looking at IAEA's report, the filter was being cleaned and 10 valves were left open, so water that was initially clean but was being used to flush the valves leaked out, about 5.5 cubic meters.  The radioactive contamination estimate of 22 GBq is about 600,000 smoke detectors-worth of decay events.  A lot yes, but not near what leaked into the soil before.  The contaminated water will migrate with the ground water like it did after the meltdown.

More
2 months 1 day ago #6883 by jnissen
I have not been following this lately. Is the ground still being frozen to try and contain the groundwater? I read that was a technique being proposed. Seems like that was a potential failure from the start. No good solution in this case.

• Simomax
More
1 month 4 weeks ago #6884 by Simomax
From what I understand a few years back they (Tepco et al) installed a frozen underground wall around the station. This saw some issues at first with not all of the elements freezing properly, but I believe they managed to get this sorted at some point after. Since then I have heard nothing really about the ice wall, so I honestly don't know. Doing a short search yielded nothing about the ice wall, so I am really unsure about it. I should look harder and see if I can find out what happened, if anything.

Regarding the rest of the plant..... It's a mess. A real terrible mess. The concrete around the base of the reactor pedestal (unit 1) has melted or simply rotted away leaving parts of the pedestal just resting on the steel rebar, which will rust through in time, and probably cause the reactor to tumble down into the basement, or something. Use your imagination as to what could possibly happen if the pedestal gave way. The plant is still leaking like a colander with many becquerels of isotopes leaking out to sea, as well as the planned waste water releases. Apparently the staff are unhappy and fed up with the work. I am assuming that is one of the reasons for the many human mistakes that keep happening there, such as this last spill - they left the taps open! The incompetence is bewildering!

I have attached a PDF that is an 11th year report of the site and that will fill you in on all the details. Also check out  https://simplyinfo.org/  as there is lots and lots of information on Fukushima Diiachi from the start of the disaster right up to present. The attached PDF was taken from that site (in the spirit of getting the info out) so full credit goes to them. Their version is very slow and cumbersome so I made it into a PDF for ease of reading.
Attachments:

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #6885 by Bert490
The 1.5 km long ice wall was to divert some of the groundwater around the reactors so it would not become contaminated.  It was to block horizontal movement but with no 'floor' it can't stop vertical movement (e.g. rain that is not removed and lower groundwater rising).  Groundwater entering the reactor sites is being pumped out and stored, and the initial high volume was to be minimized by the ice wall.  It has not been as effective as planned, with warm spots that presumably let more groundwater through and defective coolant pipes that had to be replaced (with no ice wall during the outage).  This article is the latest I could find.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Juzzie, Simomax

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds