High radiation levels detected on Long Island?

• Simomax
  • Simomax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Nuts about radioactive everything!
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #2984 by Simomax
Just a heads up. I cannot verify the validity of this, but thrown it up here FYI.

Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Simomax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #2987 by mw0uzo
Yeah just seen this. Will delete the dupe thread I started. Any nuclear facilities nearby? I wonder if this is linked to the I131 detection, and its travelled further than expected?
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by mw0uzo.

• Simomax
More
7 years 1 month ago #2990 by Simomax
Yeah, Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant. But was decommissioned in 1994 after apparently never running fully due to safety issues.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoreham_Nuclear_Power_Plant

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Shoreham+Nuclear+Power+Plant/@40.6387684,-73.0486806,180701m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x89e867976b4d97ab:0x80fb3f85dba53f5a!2sShoreham+Nuclear+Power+Plant!8m2!3d40.9610624!4d-72.8648254!3m4!1s0x89e867976b4d97ab:0x80fb3f85dba53f5a!8m2!3d40.9610624!4d-72.8648254

There is also Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant that has been in the news recently due to various issues.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Point_Energy_Center

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Indian+Point+Energy+Center/@41.1076178,-73.7714623,147997m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x5caf08ed472a463!8m2!3d41.267997!4d-73.9513992
The following user(s) said Thank You: mw0uzo

• Simomax
More
7 years 1 month ago #2991 by Simomax

I wonder if this is linked to the I131 detection, and its travelled further than expected?

I'm not sure. I would expect the I131 to be pretty much depleted due to its short half-life (8 days). This means it woul;d be pretty much gone (as far as unsafe levels) in about a month. The initial reports, if i recall correctly, were from about mid January and we are nearly in March now, so I would expect it to have gone by now.

That said, there is the possibility that there could be plumes of other radionuclides that originated from the source of the I131, and we know all too well how the authorities like to keep things quiet when they want. I'm sure in time we will learn.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #2994 by mw0uzo
Here is a comment from Bob on the main news article:

I wonder if this is the source?

Indian Point plant leak sparks concern over ‘Chernobyl on the Hudson’

News of the tritium water leak at the Indian Point nuclear power plant has rekindled concerns about the 40-year-old plant among the local residents, public health experts and environmentalists. Situated on the Hudson River, 25 miles (40 km) north of New York City, Indian Point serves the electricity needs of around 2 million people. Its two working reactors have operated since 1974 and 1976, respectively.

Last month, crews preparing one of the reactors for refueling accidentally spilled some of the water containing the radioactive hydrogen isotope tritium, causing a massive radiation spike in groundwater monitoring wells. Entergy, the Louisiana-based company that owns the plant, chalked up the readings to “fluctuations that can be expected as the material migrates.”

rt.com/.../332566-indian-point-chernobyl-hudson

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #2995 by Gamma-Man

Here is a comment from Bob on the main news article:

I wonder if this is the source?

Indian Point plant leak sparks concern over ‘Chernobyl on the Hudson’

News of the tritium water leak at the Indian Point nuclear power plant has rekindled concerns about the 40-year-old plant among the local residents, public health experts and environmentalists. Situated on the Hudson River, 25 miles (40 km) north of New York City, Indian Point serves the electricity needs of around 2 million people. Its two working reactors have operated since 1974 and 1976, respectively.

Last month, crews preparing one of the reactors for refueling accidentally spilled some of the water containing the radioactive hydrogen isotope tritium, causing a massive radiation spike in groundwater monitoring wells. Entergy, the Louisiana-based company that owns the plant, chalked up the readings to “fluctuations that can be expected as the material migrates.”

rt.com/.../332566-indian-point-chernobyl-hudson

More sources than the link from the russian state owned Russia Today?

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds