radmon.org Solar Power experiments

More
4 years 4 months ago #4865 by mw0uzo
radmon.org has been up and down today due to moving the server to something that has a chance of being solar powered. The main server consumes 200W continuously even with all the backup disks removed.

So radmon.org has moved to a computer that draws about 60W. This isn't very efficient as its run from an inverter. Ideally I need to find or acquire a large laptop with two disk bays to turn into a low power server.

radmon.org will be intermittent and slow while I unpack some large archives and do some experimentation.

I've got about 80Ah of battery storage, this isn't enough to power the server all night, but with the help of a power supply I can give grid power at night and run off the sun during the day. That's the plan anyway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #4866 by mw0uzo
The server ran out of disk space overnight due to a large file being larger than it should have been. Server working now.

More
4 years 4 months ago #4867 by mw0uzo
radmon.org will be up and down as I increase installed memory and import the radmon.org email server

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #4868 by mw0uzo
Memory upgrade successful and email server import successful.
Tests with low memory and slow hard disk indicate that it is possible to run radmon.org server on a lower power system. In fact, I think it will run great on a RPi4 4Gb.

Current system draw is 60W not including inverter loss, so maybe total 100W.

With Rpi4 this could be reduced to <25W, with a DC-DC converter for a power supply. 25W would run all year round and leave plenty of excess juice in the batteries.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by mw0uzo.

More
4 years 4 months ago #4869 by FSM19
Did notice one brief outage yesterday, but then I had one as well due to bad weather affecting the G4.

More
4 years 4 months ago #4870 by GetSirius
Thank you for the updates. I was wondering if there were problems, or something else going on.

Mineral Point radiation/lightning monitor: getsirius.com/radiation

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds