Radslug is offline. Should be back online tonight (USA/PST)

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #2807 by Radslug
Just noticed it is displaying as dormant & the latest reading is from 20170108, I'll check on it when I get home tonight, I'm guessing it was the recent power outages from storms.

[Update 20160113: Happily back up and running. At some point I'll either switch to a spare RaspberryPi or modify the SLU2 so that doesn't need manual intervention when power is restored. Until then I'll prolly go with a five minute solution of plugging it into an old low capacity UPS...]
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Radslug.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 days ago #3110 by Radslug
Update: 2017-03-24 9:24 PST: Just noticed that Radslug is down again, due to another power outage. Oddly it's not marked as offline on the map even though the last reading sent was two days ago. I'll reboot the NSLU2 tonight when I get home from work.

I've decided not to move Radslug to a Raspberry Pi (or WRT54G, which was the more likely choice as I have a few sitting in storage already flashed with Linux. Using a modern ARM based dev board seems like overkill). There just aren't any other uses for the NSLU2 & its about as minimal a system as I have spare; there's a certain appeal to that to me.

The batteries arrived this week for the UPS for our home server, I'll plug Radslug into it as well & that should take care of the problem. Our outages tend to be less than 20 seconds, it's been years since we had a "real" blackout, so it's just a matter of preventing the NSLU2 from shutting down.

More
6 years 11 months ago #3171 by Radslug
[Update: 2017-04-18] Doesn't do much good to have Radslug on a UPS when the main router for our home network kicks the bucket. I'm guessing all the recent power outages took their toll. I'll probably move Radslug & the UPS to the router location so the new router can enjoy nice, clean, dependable power, too. :whistle: Might have to make a pretty case for it all or hide it in a cabinet.

More
6 years 9 months ago #3320 by Radslug
Back offline for a few days, finally figured out it was the wireless router that kept dropping the connection & then refusing authentication. Shiny new superfast multi-band multi-stream router is up and running as of last night. Tonight or tomorrow I should be able to get RadSlug authenticating & sending data again. 'Tis an ancient system (2.4 kernel, anyone?) & I'm going to have to do a bit of remembering (read: practice creative swearing). If worse comes to worse I may just move RadSlug to the same cabinet as the main house router & plug it in directly.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #3325 by Radslug
[Update 07/03/2017] Radslug is back up & hopefully, "Now, with more reliability!

It turns out there was a problem was the link between Radslug and our home router. I'd been using an old Netgear n300 router + switch with alternate firmware as a wireless bridge to my workbench, which is where Radslug lived. And I'd forgotten that when I swap out the main router, I have to log onto the bridge & manually reconnect the two the first time. I will likely forget again, so now Radslug is plugged directly into the main house router & UPS. Supposedly Xfinity/Comcast has their own battery backups and works even during power outages, so we'll see next winter if Radslug keeps sending even during a blackout.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Radslug.

More
6 years 8 months ago #3349 by Radslug
Radslug seems stable again. Interesting to see the readings are about an average of a half CPM higher in the new location. Data visualization - the graphs that are available to us on Radmon - is such a wonderful tool for spotting shifts in trends.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds