Coronal hole gamma detection?

More
5 years 5 months ago #4068 by Juzzie
Now the sun has well and truly set, yet southofhobart3 continues to be peaky. My other two stations remain normal, as does any geiger counter I care to switch on.
This may suggest a hardware problem - perhaps a dying GM tube in the array.
I will wait and see what happens....

Owner and operator of "southofhobart" monitoring stations.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #4074 by mw0uzo

Now the sun has well and truly set, yet southofhobart3 continues to be peaky. My other two stations remain normal, as does any geiger counter I care to switch on.
This may suggest a hardware problem - perhaps a dying GM tube in the array.
I will wait and see what happens....

I had an old Russian mica windowed GM tube which gave strange increases like that. One night it was really picking up extra counts, even more so when I went upstairs in the house. I later found it was faulty, but for weeks it gave me the runaround!! ebay...
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by mw0uzo.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #4076 by Bert490
I think it is unlikely that the sun can change ionizing radiation levels at the surface. Holes like this result in more particles getting out through the sun's outer layer, and are considered fast-moving, taking 1-3 days to reach Earth. Flares cause a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) and can be slower, taking 1-4 days, but can be much more intense. Both can cause geomagnetic storms, but most of the ionizing activity happens above around 60,000 feet (18,300 m). What does reach the surface (for flares) is magnetic activity that can induce currents in transmission wires, like the 1989 event in Quebec Canada.

So I agree, it's likely an equipment issue.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Bert490.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juzzie

More
5 years 5 months ago #4096 by Juzzie
Yes Bert490, It was a long shot. I was thinking gamma/xray bursts. But curious - the timing of the fault.
After checking all 4 Si-180g GM tubes and the GK-RadMon+, and finding no faults I changed the power supply. That seems to have fixed things....

Owner and operator of "southofhobart" monitoring stations.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds