Map location ?

More
6 months 6 days ago #6771 by Frank
Map location ? was created by Frank
Hi folks, not sure but I believe at one time my spot on the USA map was pretty close to my location but happen to check out the live map and noticed I was up in New Hampshire. I never did set the lat/long numbers, either on the site or within Radmon itself so I tried to do that and did manage to get it somewhat closer but not really close enough. I only put in the one set of numbers to the right of the decimal point and was off so I tried the second set of numbers and it won't move. I suppose its close enough but would like to get it closer to were I really am. Are the settings we put in really only crude ones and it just gets us in the ball park? Or is there something I am missing. Ex: If I put in say 42.25N it puts me about 1/2 mile from where I am, if I put in 42.24.25, it doesn't budge. Only reason I like it close to where I am is I have an active railroad track about a 100 yards away from my house and at the current location on the map, it has me about a 1/4 mile from the track.I monitor this area for just this reason, never know whatss being hauled around.   Thoughts?  thank you    Frank   

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 6 days ago - 6 months 6 days ago #6772 by Simomax
Replied by Simomax on topic Map location ?
The way I do it is use  https://www.openstreetmap.org/  Browse the map and zoom right in on the spot you want (maximum zoom), then right click and select 'show address'. This will display the coords at the top left of the page. Just simply copy/paste them into you station details. From what I understand radmon only accepts coords with decimal degrees, not sexagesimal degrees, and any decimals after the first are ignored. Some info about decimal degrees here.

Edit: Seems you can't copy paste the coords from the top left of the page, but it does show them in the address bar at the top after right clicking 'show address'.
Last edit: 6 months 6 days ago by Simomax.

More
6 months 5 days ago - 6 months 5 days ago #6779 by Bert490
Replied by Bert490 on topic Map location ?
The lat/long must be in decimal degrees, not deg.min.sec format.  And + or -, not N or S.  For example, try 42.244.
Last edit: 6 months 5 days ago by Bert490.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds