× Discuss old and vintage Geiger counters and equipment. Please try to keep this to pre-1990's counters and other radiation related equipment from that era.

Some old manuals

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #6957 by FSM19
Replied by FSM19 on topic Some old manuals
If you undo the screws round the rectangular panel that has the D cell caps, You will find the ht battery containers there. Each has a pair of connectors at one end and a screw clamp at the other. Its on pages 11-13 of the AERE version of the manual.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 16 hours ago #6958 by Simomax
Replied by Simomax on topic Some old manuals
Ahh, that's the compartment I can't get into due to corrosion. The bottom left screw is corroded and rusted tight. I'll try and get into it one day. I can't say I'm looking forward to the mess that is in there.

More
2 weeks 2 hours ago #6959 by FSM19
And the batteries are unobtainable, they were obsolete before the meters came into service, and had to be made to special order by Ever Ready! I have heard of people making up their own using button cells. I have only ever made up packs and clipped them on for test purposes.

More
2 weeks 2 hours ago #6960 by Simomax
I have made a couple of button cell packs, one quite recently. I needed a 25v battery for an old microscope exposure meter. I found them on ebay but were quite expensive (£16 IIRC) so I just ordered a card of cheap batteries, put them in a line and wrapped some tape around them. It works pretty flawlessly. I actually expected bad connections with the cells just stacked, but worked very well.

I have an old Dawe sound level meter that I need to make a 30v battery (pictured) for at some point. Maybe I should document it's construction?

I don't see any reason I can't make new batteries for this meter, if the battery holders and contacts are salvageable. Or maybe modify it? If the battery housing is beyond repair it may be worth modifying it. I would be interested in seeing one of these working, especially as you mention the Americium check source for them.
Attachments:

More
1 week 5 days ago #6963 by FSM19
Documentation is always good.

More
1 week 4 days ago #6966 by Simomax
I have ordered 100x LR1130 batteries. Enough to make 2x B123 batteries. I should be able to knock up some documentation when I build a battery.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds