× For discussion of news and events happening around the world right now

Explosion and fire destroying biological facilities

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #4786 by mw0uzo
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-explosion-rips-through-russian-20079304

'A massive gas explosion has sparked a fire at a Russian lab that houses viruses ranging from smallpox to Ebola, authorities have said.

The State Research Centre of Virology and Biotechnology has said a cylinder exploded in lab which is one of two places in the world that houses the smallpox disease which has been eradicated in the world.

Other highly lethal diseases that are stored there include Anthrax and Ebola.

Located in Koltsovo, in the Novosibirsk region of Siberia, the site is thought to be where biological weapons have been made.'
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by mw0uzo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #4787 by FSM19
During the cold war the Russia had at least 20 biological warfare stations known as Biopreparat (Russian: "Biological substance preparation"). Against one in the USA, (Camp Detrick) and two in the UK (MRE Porton, and a production facility at Nancekuke in Cornwall). https://tocsin-bang.000webhostapp.com/biological.html. BTW the Central Veterinary Laboratory, where I worked in the 60s was responsible for monitoring radioactive contamination of grass, following the Windscale fire, this continued until at least 1970 and may still continue.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by FSM19. Reason: Correction of typing errors.

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #4788 by mw0uzo
I always learn something new at your website, FSM19! There's hours of reading what with all the links etc.

A lot of this is still very relevant today, we've been lucky so far not to have needed it. Which makes us less prepared when we do need it...
It's a certain thing that in the general UK population, there seems to be little thought towards what we might need to do when shit hits the fan. I do not often meet anyone who has thought about it for any decent length of time.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by mw0uzo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FSM19

More
4 years 7 months ago #4789 by Simomax
You are spot on mw0uzo. I don't know if the general UK public are naive, stupid or ignorant. Not all of course, but nearly every single person I have spoken to about a SHTF situation have called me paranoid or said "nah, that'll never happen." Except one guy I do some work with. It was a few days after I had shown him my radiation monitor etc. and he sheepishly asked me "do you think I'm crazy for stocking a few tins and other essentials?"

That said, the number one rule of preparedness is 'Don't talk about it to anyone' as in a SHTF situation you all of a sudden become a target.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FSM19

More
4 years 7 months ago #4790 by FSM19
I served in the Civil Defence Corps from May 1964 (when I became old enough) until March 1968 when we were disbanded with little warning and only a letter of thanks from the Queen. The Corps and its related organisations, the National Hospital Service Reserve, the Auxiliary Fire Service and the Industrial Civil Defence Corps had not simply prepared for the unthinkable, but had been involved in helping at Aberfan and the '53 East Coast Floods and a number of other major disasters. The Royal Observer Corps continued until 1991. The only remnant of civil defence in the UK is the Royal Voluntary Service, who were originally formed (as the WVS, later WRVS) to enable women to work in the support of civil defence. As well as radiological training we were trained in biological and chemical warfare. One of my earliest training sessions was on fitting members of the public with respirators.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds