× For discussion of news and events happening around the world right now

Fukushima Daiichi began releasing wastewater today into the ocean

More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #6733 by Juzzie
yep, getting it rite (spelling mistake intended).
Also worthy to note, "below detectable limits" does not mean "too little to detect", it actually means "below whatever limit we set".
And, describing contamination levels in bq/kg without naming the isotopes can hide the extent of danger. (think Plutonium)
Thank you Simomax for taking the time to post at length. I've learned some more.

Owner and operator of "southofhobart" monitoring stations.
Last edit: 6 months 1 week ago by Juzzie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 3 days ago #6783 by Simomax
Multiple radionuclides detected in Fukushima nuke wastewater planned for 3rd round of ocean discharge

The third batch of Fukushima nuclear-contaminated water to be released during Japan's next round of ocean discharge contains carbon-14, cobalt 60, strontium-90 and other radionuclides, according to pre-discharge test results released by the Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO).

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202310/21/WS65339e99a31090682a5e9ef2.html

More
5 months 3 weeks ago - 5 months 3 weeks ago #6803 by Simomax
Fukushima: US buys Japan seafood to counter China ban

The US military in Japan has started to bulk buy the country's seafood in response to a Chinese import ban after the release of treated water from the Fukushima nuclear plant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67269794
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-military-japan-seafood-china-ban-b2438326.html

Last edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Simomax.

More
5 months 5 days ago #6823 by nzoomed
Was just watching this video today, looks like the rate of tritium released is going to be less than one tritium exit sign per day.

More
4 months 4 weeks ago - 4 months 4 weeks ago #6824 by Simomax
You are probably right about the amount of Trituim being released being small, according to TEPCO's own reports. I would like to see reports from other bodies though as I generally take anything TEPCO says with a pinch of salt. It's not like they haven't ever lied before . Its not just about the Tritium though. I have read too many reports about other isotopes not being filtered by ALPS such as Caesium 137 and Strontium 90. These concerns have been brought up time and time again. If the treated water only contained Tritium in the low quantities they say, then why wasn't the water released much earlier? If the waste water is so safe, why doesn't Japan just spray it on their fields to water the crops or release it in their lakes? If it is safe, why not just put it right back into the clean drinking water system? The ALPS system employs reverse osmosis as one of it's stages, so this will remove any salt in the water making it effectively drinkable. So why not just let the Japanese people drink it. It will pass though the body relatively quickly, then down the toilet, or maybe a little sweat. And then in 12 years it will only be 50% of what it was. In 24 years only 25% of what it was. In 36 years only 12.5% of what it was. It's a no-brainer if you ask me. TEPCO says the water is safe, just use it to water agriculture and quench the thirst of the Japanese people. It's only 365 exit signs a year, so no bother there really. There are 123,021,136 people in Japan (according to worldometer), so that would mean a single Japanese person would only consume 0.000003% of an exit sign every year. Absolutely nothing! So why didn't they do that? It's safe right?

My eyes were opened by researching into how much Tritium is released around the world by other NPPs. It seems it happens all the time. Every day, all over the world Tritium is being released into the wild by things such as cooling water for NPPs. So that makes it OK for anyone to do it, right? If Russia and China are doing it, then everyone can. That's fair. I have read literally nothing about other radionuclides being released into the wild from NPPs other than Fukushima. Is that happening? I don't know. If anyone has any info on this please let me have it.

It should also be noted that (according to literature) there is about 70% of the stored wastewater that will have to be reprocessed by the ALPS due to failure within the ALPS some time ago. The water wasn't filtered properly and was simply stored on site. Will this be treated again? Anyone have any idea? Care to stab a guess?

On a side note, the video was tosh. Another youtuber/influencer - taught me nothing. Where are the radiological experts on this? Oh yeah, not on youtube as they have proper jobs. The guy doing the video is no expert. Simply a parrot, parroting someone else's opinion. There are zero references to actual data, just opinion. It seems there has been an influx of videos (none of which I have seen with an actual nuclear engineer, or even a nuclear professional. No professors or even any qualified mind) lately, as well as written articles all just talking about the Tritium. 'It's only Tritium', 'It's harmless', 'It's only one exit sign per day'. SMH. Show me the videos from the professionals, the professors, the engineers, not some youtuber/influencer whose main job is viewer retention. 

It's only one exit sign per day right? So in fairness I should be able to throw one fluorescent tube in the ocean every single day for the next 40 years right? It's only a teeny tiny bit of Mercury vapour, a tiny pit of Phosphor, some glass, bit of Aluminium and some other very small quantity metals such as brass, Tungsten, maybe some Chromium in an alloy. Really not a lot when you think the ocean is so big. The elements would be diluted quickly and the metals will oxidize over time into trace elements. So that's OK for me to discard one tube per day as they are discarding one exit sign a day? And if it is OK for me to do that, then it is only fair for someone else to do that. Mission creep was never a thing, right? Nudge tactics never existed. 

If the water is so safe, why don't they drink it themselves?

There are other effects of the water discharge such as the economical impact to Japan's fishing industry, or at least what is left of it after the Tsunami and Fukashima disaster. After the disaster the fishing industry in Japan was decimated. They couldn't fish in their closer waters, those whose businesses survived that is. Eventually they moved further out to fish in cleaner waters causing more diesel fuel to be burnt, increasing the turnaround time of a catch and increasing the cost. Or making less profits in order to maintain throughput. Then the waste water release came into effect and many countries have simply banned Japanese seafood imports effectively destroying the fishing industry in Japan. There are people behind the fishing industry there. In fact it is only people (with tools) behind the fishing industry there. How are the fishermen supposed to feed their families and home them when they have no jobs as they were destroyed by a corporation. No jobs means less tax. Less tax means poorer country which leads to poorer quality of life for the population. There have been reports of the tourist industry suffering in Japan due to people simply avoiding the country, due to it's waste water release. The economic impact of the wastewater release is massive!

If the water is so safe, why don't they just spray it on their agriculture?

I don't know if you do, or do not, but to obtain a good, fair, opinion of a matter, both sides have to be looked at. When only one side is portrayed it accounts to bias. That video looks at one one small part of one side. All he talks about in the video is Tritium. What about the other isotopes? The ALPS system employs reverse osmosis as one of it's filter stages. As it happens, looking into the ALPS system shows it to be quite similar, on a grand scale, and using different filter methods, to that of a several stage RO drinking water filter. RO is capable, at best, according to literature, or filtering 99.9% of contaminants from water. So we know there is 1,340,000 metric tonnes of waste water to be released at some point. 0.1% of that is 134,000 metric tonnes of essentially untreated water. And of course the filters run at 100% all the time. They never wear out and never need replacing, right? The ALPS system runs at 99.9% filtration rate all the time, right? It appears not, according to the news. Strontium 90, Caesium 137 and other radionuclides have been detected in treated water, as well as the Trituim. This is the water they are deeming fit for release. 134,000 metric tonnes of Strontium and Caesium contaminated water over the next 40 years. Yummy! But lets not stress about that as it is only 3,350 metric tonnes every year, and that is only really 9.18 tonnes a day. I think that trumps your 'one exit sign per day'.

TEPCO are liars. Don't forget that.

I went back right until the day or two before the first waste water release and looked at what was in the news and other literature, to look at the other side of your argument and I have listed them below in chronological order of their publish date (where avaliable). They are worth a read. It is also worth noting their sources and the people that wrote/published them. You will find some to be quite more qualified than the youtuber in this field. I will generally give more credence to those qualified people than a youtuber/influencer as it is their frickin job! The job of a youtuber is to get views, clicks, likes and all that crap and they will make any kind of video to do so. That video stinks of propoganda, as do others I have watched lately.

Have a read of 'the other side of the argument':

Cover up? Did atom bosses collude to ‘manage message’ of Japanese plan to poison Pacific?
https://www.nuclearpolicy.info/news/cover-up-did-atom-bosses-collude-to-manage-message-of-japanese-plan-to-poison-pacific/

In the released document, the IAEA supports the discharge of the radioactive water ‘even though the activity concentrations of some radionuclides above the [permitted] discharge limits are reported’ and agrees not to conduct a full radioactive analysis of every batch of the water held ‘due to the concerns of [operator] TEPCO and relevant authorities [the Japanese Government]’. (My emphasis)

Japan announces date for Fukushima radioactive water release
https://www.greenpeace.org/international/press-release/61364/japan-announces-date-for-fukushima-radioactive-water-release/

As of 8 June 2023, there were 1,335,381 cubic meters of radioactive wastewater stored in tanks[1], but due to the failure of the ALPS (Advanced Liquid Processing System) processing technology, approximately 70% of this water will have to be processed again. Scientists have warned that the radiological risks from the discharges have not been fully assessed, and the biological impacts of tritium, carbon-14, strontium-90 and iodine-129, which will be released in the discharges, have been ignored.[2] 

Fukushima: What are the concerns over waste water release?
https://nuclear-news.net/2023/08/25/2-b1-fukushima-what-are-the-concerns-over-waste-water-release/

“We’ve seen an inadequate radiological, ecological impact assessment that makes us very concerned that Japan would not only be unable to detect what’s getting into the water, sediment and organisms, but if it does, there is no recourse to remove it… there’s no way to get the genie back in the bottle,” marine biologist Robert Richmond, a professor with the University of Hawaii, told the BBC’s Newsday programme.Tatsujiro Suzuki, a nuclear engineering professor from Nagasaki University’s Research Center for Nuclear Weapons Abolition, told the BBC the plan would “not necessarily lead to serious pollution or readily harm the public – if everything goes well”. (My emphasis)

The Fukushima nuclear plant will start releasing treated wastewater. Here’s what you need to know.
https://nuclear-news.net/2023/08/24/1-a-the-fukushima-nuclear-plant-will-start-releasing-treated-wastewater-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

IAEA concluded in a report that the plan, if conducted as designed, will have negligible impact on the environment and human health. IAEA chief Rafael Grossi visited the plant and said he was satisfied with preparations.Japan’s government says the release of tritium into the sea is a routine practice by nuclear plants around the world and that the amount will be several times lower than from plants in China and South Korea.Scientists generally support the IAEA’s conclusion, while some call for more attention to dozens of low-dose radionuclides that remain in the water, saying data on their long-term effects on the environment and marine life are insufficient. (My emphasis)

OPENING THE FLOOD GATES AT FUKUSHIMA
https://pursuit.unimelb.edu.au/articles/opening-the-flood-gates-at-fukushima

Even after initial cleaning,  70 per cent  of the stored wastewater contains levels of radionuclides above regulatory standards, in some cases up to  20,000 times higher . And it’s not just tritium (more on this substance below) in this water, there are other, more toxic, substances, such as cesium-137, strontium-90 and cobalt-60.

However, the  IAEA  found that Japan’s plans “are consistent with IAEA Safety Standards” and that the levels of tritium, carbon-14, and other potential radioactive contaminants will be within international standards when discharged, without TEPCO having demonstrated its water cleaning can  consistently achieve this . (My emphasis)

Nuclear discharge leading tourists to rethink travel plans
https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202308/28/WS64ebe54ea31035260b81e760.html

According to online travel services provider Trip.com Group, searches for trips to Japan had surpassed Thailand and Singapore to come on top on a list of favorable overseas destinations as of Aug 17, and bookings for group tours in Japan had increased significantly this month compared to July.However, Japan's release of wastewater has prompted health concerns and condemnations from Chinese customers."Personally, I would not promote traveling to Japan," Di said. "It is impossible to not eat Japanese-made food in Japan, and what if that food contains hazardous substances?

South Koreans worry about Fukushima water, more disapprove of Yoon, poll shows
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/south-koreans-worry-about-fukushima-water-more-disapprove-yoon-poll-2023-09-01/

The South Korean government, however, has said it sees no scientific problem with the water release, though stressing it does not approve of it, and banning the import of seafood from waters off Fukushima, north of Tokyo.President Yoon Suk Yeol has led a campaign to ease public concern and encourage consumption of seafood. On Thursday, he visited a major fisheries market to shop and have lunch.Despite such efforts, South Korean  environmental groups  and many members of the public are alarmed and Yoon's disapproval rating has risen to the highest in months, a Gallup Korea poll of 1,002 people showed.More than seven in 10 respondents said they were concerned about the impact on seafood and 60% said they were reluctant to eat seafood, according to Gallup Korea.

Japan's nuclear-contaminated water discharge should consider hazard accountability and compensation mechanisms
https://news.cgtn.com/news/2023-09-06/Japan-s-nuclear-wastewater-discharge-should-have-hazard-accountability-1mSm5S2bJsY/index.html

Japan's nuclear-contaminated water discharge poses potential hazards to human health. The nuclear-contaminated water contains radioactive isotopes, such as cesium, tritium, and strontium, which can enter the food chain of marine ecosystems, affecting the marine ecosystems of surrounding countries directly. When contaminated seafood is consumed, there is a potential risk to human health. Furthermore, these radioactive substances can spread to distant regions through the influences of climate and oceanic currents, causing long-term impacts on marine ecosystems globally. This can result in the death or migration of marine organisms, biodiversity disruption, and the potential negative impact on the sustainable utilization of fishery resources.

The Discharge of Fukushima’s Radioactive Water could be a Precedent for Similar Actions
https://www.dianuke.org/the-discharge-of-fukushimas-radioactive-water-could-be-a-precedent-for-similar-actions/

The Japanese Government is not telling the truth about ‘purification’The discharge process of the wastewater resulting from the complete meltdown of three reactor cores at the Fukushima nuclear facility began in 2011 and is at par with the danger level ascribed to the Chornobyl disaster. This also highlights how the Fukushima discharge differs from the regular discharge processes of nuclear power plants and indicates the extent of danger that nuclear power plants pose. Furthermore, the radioactive isotopes treated in the accumulated wastewater is only half of the whole amount according to what was stated on the website of the Japanese Ministry of the Environment.A detail that has been overlooked till today is that there is no information regarding the amount of discharge during this 40-year time frame for the disposal of radioactive water into the ocean. This might indicate that the discharged amount may even be equivalent to the period of, for example, 100 years despite the declared duration of 40. In addition, since the present objections have been disregarded, it is worth considering the potential impact of future oppositions at the end of the 40 years.

Radioactive discharge from Fukushima nuclear plant raising concerns on California coast.
https://nuclear-news.net/2023/09/17/2-b1-radioactive-discharge-from-fukushima-nuclear-plant-raising-concerns-on-california-coast/

Makhijani and Dalnoki-Veress remain concerned. Both belong to a panel of experts representing the  Pacific Islands Forum . The panel consulted with Japan over its intentions to release treated nuclear wastewater into the Pacific Ocean and found the decision to release “regrettable.”“There’s a lot of things that can go wrong,” said Dalnoki-Veress.Tritiated water remains a concern for the panel. Makhijani recently wrote the book “ Exploring Tritium’s Danger ,” which challenges many long-held beliefs about the radioactive substance. He maintains that the impacts of tritium on human health, especially when taken into the body, warrant much more attention. 

China not invited to participate in nuclear water testing - Chinese embassy in Japan
https://www.deccanherald.com/world/china-not-invited-to-participate-in-nuclear-water-testing-chinese-embassy-in-japan-2690392

China has not been invited to participate in the analysis and comparative testing of nuclear-contaminated water, China's embassy in Japan said on Monday.

Fukushima: China's seafood imports from Japan down 67% in August
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66862576

Imports of Japanese seafood fell 67.6% in August from the same month last year, China's customs authority said.Japan's ministry of agriculture and fisheries says China was the world's top importer of the country's seafood.Last year,  Asia's largest economy imported  84.4 billion yen ($571m; £461m) of seafood from its neighbour.The sharp fall came as Japan prepared to start releasing the waste water and in the aftermath of the release.

Why Japan should stop its Fukushima nuclear wastewater ocean release
https://nuclear-news.net/2023/09/23/1-b1-why-japan-should-stop-its-fukushima-nuclear-wastewater-ocean-release/

It can’t be denied that “treated water” is not as pure as “tritiated water” because treated water may still contain other radioactive nuclides, albeit in small proportions. But the comparison of Fukushima’s “treated water” with other “tritiated water” released during the normal operation of other nuclear power plants can be misleading because the latter is not contaminated with other radioactive nuclides.

TEPCO says it re-purifies the “treated water” to make sure the water satisfies regulatory standards before it is released to the sea. To do that, the company’s plan is to dilute “treated water” with large amounts of sea water to reach a concentration of tritium of 190 Becquerel (Bq) per liter, which is much lower than the allowed concentration of 1,500 Bq per liter.

(So, does that mean that the concentration of the radionuclides in the wastewater is actually higher than that allowed, but they are measuring it after dilution, thus making it 'within standards'?????? Can anyone please clarify this?)

Solomon Islands acknowledges ‘inconclusive,’ IAEA report on Japan nuclear waste
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/solomon-islands-acknowledges-inconclusive-iaea-report-on-japan-nuclear-waste/2999123

“We note IAEA’s (International Atomic Energy Agency) assessment report is inconclusive and that the scientific data shared remains inadequate, incomplete and biased,” Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare told the 78th session of the UN General Assembly in New York.“Solomon Islands stands with like-minded Pacific islanders and is appalled by Japan’s decision to discharge over a million tons of treated nuclear wastewater into the ocean,” he said.

Russia says Japan did not inform it fully about radioactive Fukushima water
https://www.reuters.com/world/russia-says-japan-failed-provide-full-information-about-water-fukushima-nuclear-2023-10-04/

"We and China have repeatedly urged the Japanese side to show transparency and provide all interested states with full access to all information about the discharge of water from the Fukushima-1 nuclear power plant," Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said."Japan has not done this," Zakharova said. "Japan has failed to properly respond to these issues and to guarantee the absence of a threat, including a long-term one."

(This one I had to get back from the internet archive as it mysteriously disappeared - discernment necessary)
Fukushima nuclear plant starts 2nd release of treated radioactive wastewater into the sea
https://web.archive.org/web/20231025050022/https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/fukushima-nuclear-plant-starts-2nd-release-treated-radioactive-103742211

Some scientists say, however, that the continuing release of low-level radioactive materials is unprecedented and needs to be monitored closely.Japan’s government has set up a relief fund to help find new markets and reduce the impact of China’s seafood ban. Measures also include the temporary purchase, freezing and storage of seafood and promotion of seafood sales at home.Cabinet ministers have traveled to Fukushima to sample local seafood and promote its safety.TEPCO is tasked with providing compensation for reputational damage to the region's seafood caused by the wastewater release. It started accepting applications this week and immediately received hundreds of inquiries. Most of the damage claims are linked to China’s seafood ban and excess supply at home causing price declines, TEPCO said.

How safe is the release of treated radioactive water from Fukushima plant
https://nuclear-news.net/2023/10/09/1-b1-how-safe-is-the-release-of-treated-radioactive-water-from-fukushima-plant/
[Video - taken from the transcript:]

the act of disposing this radioactive waste into the ocean be because tritium is what scientists are worried about here. um according to tepco's own documents there's still lots of other radioactive particles in various tanks, um so it's not only tritium it's primarily tritium but it's not only tritium. um and tritium will never be tritium is a form of hydrogen so it cannot be separated from water so uh there's nothing that can be done about that but these other radioactive particles along with tritium these are all going to enter into the ecosystem and once they enter into the ecosystem they embed into the ecosystem they become a part of it. they become a part of the food chain, they become a part of the Dynamics of the movement of water. they get moved around to all kinds of places so these are now these all these particles During the period of time that they are dangerous because they Decay slowly uh during that period of time they will migrate through the ecosystem going from plant to animal to water uh and it and wherever they are there will be harm done it's just that it'll be widely dispersed and it won't be noticed right.

Half of China’s people are worried about Fukushima water release: poll
https://nuclear-news.net/2023/10/13/2-b-1-half-of-chinas-people-are-worried-about-fukushima-water-release-poll/

According to an annual joint poll by Japanese nonprofit think tank Genron NPO and the China International Communications Group on public views in both countries on bilateral ties, 22.1 percent of 1,506 Chinese surveyed said they are “very worried” and 25.5 percent are “worried to some extent” about the water discharge.In the poll, conducted in China in 10 cities from Aug. 18 to Sept. 1, 8.0 percent answered they are “not worried at all” about the water release and 18.7 percent said they are “not very worried,” with 25.0 percent replying they “currently cannot judge.”

Fukushima plant water release: Russia follows China, suspends all Japanese seafood imports
https://www.wionews.com/world/fukushima-nuclear-plant-like-china-russia-suspends-all-japanese-seafood-imports-647527

As reported by the news agency AFP, Rosselkhoznadzor, Russia's body responsible for regulating agriculture products, said that as a "precautionary measure", it was "joining China's provisional restrictive measures on the import of fish and seafood products from Japan as of October 16, 2023". It added that the restrictions would remain in place "until the necessary exhaustive information to confirm the safety of seafood produce ... is forthcoming". 

(This one is a doozie!) Multiple radionuclides detected in Fukushima nuke wastewater planned for 3rd round of ocean discharge
https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202310/21/WS65339e99a31090682a5e9ef2.html

TOKYO -- The third batch of Fukushima nuclear-contaminated water to be released during Japan's next round of ocean discharge contains carbon-14, cobalt 60, strontium-90 and other radionuclides, according to pre-discharge test results released by the Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO).

Mechanism for toxic water release sought
https://global.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202310/24/WS65372116a31090682a5ea51d.html

Experts urge long-term intl monitoring and participation of all stakeholdersExperts call for the establishment of a long-term international monitoring mechanism with substantive participation from stakeholders, as Japan and the International Atomic Energy Agency are both criticized for not addressing the long-term environmental impacts of the dumping of nuclear-contaminated water into the sea.

Fukushima nuclear plant workers sent to hospital after being splashed with tainted water
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/oct/27/fukushima-nuclear-plant-workers-hospitalised-after-being-splashed-with-tainted-water

Four workers at the Fukushima nuclear plant were splashed with water containing radioactive materials, with two of them taken to hospital as a precaution, according to the plant operator.

The incident, which took place on Wednesday, highlights the dangers Japan still faces in decommissioning the plant. The reactor was knocked out by an immense tsunami in 2011 in the world’s worst atomic disaster since Chornobyl in 1986.

Five workers were cleaning pipes at the system filtering wastewater for release into the sea when two were splashed after a hose came off accidentally, according to a spokesperson for operator Tepco.

Two others were contaminated when they were cleaning up the spill, the spokesperson added.

The radiation levels in the two hospitalised men were at or above 4 becquerels per square centimetre, the threshold which is considered safe.

Tepco's role as referee raises doubt about its data
https://global.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202310/30/WS653efd48a31090682a5eb59b.html

TEPCO has a troubling track record of falsifying data and concealing facts. As early as in 2002, TEPCO's top executives were forced to resign due to data falsification scandals. In 2007, TEPCO admitted to falsifying data in routine inspections at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant from 1977 to 2007. After the Fukushima nuclear disaster in March 2011, TEPCO concluded that the core had melted down based on data but did not report this to the Japanese government.Furthermore, TEPCO didn't admit the leaks of nuclear-contaminated water in Fukushima until media exposure. TEPCO persistently claimed that no leaks occurred after June 2011, which was revealed in 2013 by the media as a lie. In 2021, TEPCO was accused of concealing leaks caused by corroded storage tanks. In September that year, TEPCO was caught hiding damaged Advanced Liquid Processing System filters. In October 2022, TEPCO was revealed to have misled visitors by using faulty radiation detectors to prove the safety of "treated" water. ...The long list of data manipulation by TEPCO exposed to the public its shocking level of deception. (My emphasis)

Minister Huang urges Japan on nuclear-contaminated water
https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202311/05/WS65476d92a31090682a5ec7c3.html
[Video]

Chinese Minister of Ecology and Environment Huang Runqiu urged Japan to engage in full consultations with stakeholders in handling the release of nuclear-contaminated water from the crippled Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant in a responsible manner."We also called for the prompt establishment of a long-term international monitoring mechanism with the participation of Japan, neighboring countries, and other relevant stakeholders to effectively protect the global marine environment," Huang said at the 24th Tripartite Environment Ministers Meeting among Japan, South Korea, and China. The two-day meeting closed on Saturday in Nagoya, Japan.

Accident proves Japan's toxic water plan dubious
https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202311/06/WS65483427a31090682a5ec88b.html

The accident exposes the ineffectiveness of the so-called Advanced Liquid Processing System the company uses to treat the radioactive water accumulated at the plant. Also, TEPCO has not explained why and how "the hose used to drain waste liquid containing radioactive substances into a tank became detached" while the workers "were washing (the processing facilities) by pouring nitric acid into the piping".The Japanese government claims the ALPS is reliable, and the water obtained after being treated using the ALPS is safe enough to "drink".So it should explain how only about 100 milliliters of the "fluid" was enough to cause such a serious accident.

Collective calls on Pacific leaders to oppose Fukushima nuclear wastewater discharge
https://news.cgtn.com/news/2023-11-12/Pacific-leaders-urged-to-oppose-Fukushima-nuclear-wastewater-discharge-1oG0b179xE4/index.html

"The findings of the independent panel of scientific experts commissioned by the Pacific Islands Forum were unequivocal - the data provided so far, to support Japan's claim that the treated wastewater is safe, is inconsistent, unsound and therefore far from reliable," the statement said, adding that "if the Japanese government and TEPCO believe the radioactive wastewater is safe, they should be prepared to safely dispose of it within terrestrial Japan."

"if the Japanese government and TEPCO believe the radioactive wastewater is safe, they should be prepared to safely dispose of it within terrestrial Japan."

During my collating the news articles and other literature there is one thing I found. One thing that stood out. The only people advocating for the wastewater release, and those saying it is safe are TEPCO, IAEA and the Japanese government. Nobody else. We know that TEPCO are liars. We know that the IAEA is as bent as a nine-bob note. And we know that the Japanese government have no clue what they are doing with nuclear. They could have at least mitigated most of the damage to Diiachi, if they had done what the experts said they should when they built the station. All in cahoots with each other. Who do I believe? A voutuber video, or a myriad of reports and opinions from industry professionals and experts? Not everything I posted would be from an expert or professional, but I think most are. I know who I would listen to.

And to finish, I give you this mega doozie. This literally made me stop for a second and think about what I had read. Unfathomable is the only word I can use to express my amazement at the amount of pollution Diiachi is still spewing into the ocean. This takes a comparison from the daily pollution spew into the ocean and the planned wastewater discharges. Mind blowing.... And they say they are going to release the wastewater for the next 30 or 40 years. That is what they have stored on site, but nowhere, absolutely nowhere have TEPCO, IAEA or the Japanese government stated that they are still filling up the containers on a daily basis. The water is still going through Diiachi, getting contaminated and spewing out to sea. Some is kept and put in containers for treatment. So if the water is still getting contaminated, then they are still filling the containers. So for those they empty at sea, others are filling up. Unless the water completely stops getting contaminated, they could be releasing the 'treated' wastewater, forever...........

Fukushima Diiachi Nuclear Power Station is Still Continuing to Release Radioactive Materials
https://cnic.jp/english/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/202308_fukushima_emission_finalENG-t.pdf
(I couldn't copy/paste the text so grabbed a screenie instead. The PDF is well worth a read)

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 months 4 weeks ago by Simomax.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #6886 by Simomax
Fourth round of tritiated spewage released.

The operator of the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant on Wednesday started releasing a fourth batch of treated radioactive water into the sea, in what will be the last discharge for the fiscal year ending March.
No abnormal tritium levels have been detected in nearby waters following the previous three discharges, according to Tepco.

From this round onward, the operator will forgo the step of temporarily storing the treated water in a large tank to check the tritium level before release. It will check the level as the water flows through pipes as it did in the past three rounds.

(My emphasis above)

"as it did in the past three rounds." What was part of their operating procedure was skipped in the first, second and third times, and now they are just forgoing it? I would have thought that holding the water in a tank for evaluation before it's release is a fairly important step. Maybe they can get the water back from the pipes if it is too contaminated and retreat it, or maybe they will just work it out next time.
Edit: Actually, it could be that they did use the large tank and tested in the pipes for the first three times, and it is just now they are forgoing the extra step. The article is unclear but does make it sound as if they didn't use the tank during the first three releases.

Nuclear power plants worldwide routinely release treated water containing low concentrations of tritium — considered less harmful than other radioactive materials — and other radionuclides into the environment as part of normal operations, according to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

Translation for plebs: "Radionuclides are released from all nuclear power plants, all the time, but it's just Tritium, and it ain't that bad, and we don't talk about the others. Nothing to see here, move along."

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2024/02/28/japan/society/fukushima-radioactive-water-fourth-release/
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Simomax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juzzie

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 6.562 seconds