Custom firmware for the FS2011/FS9000/NR-950/YT-203B Geiger counters

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #6526 by steadramon
Aye I've done the usual bits, swapped batteries, held/pressed buttons etc - I'll grab my trusty multimeter, crack it open later and start to diagnose later - fun!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #6527 by Simomax
Let me know if you want me to do any probing on my FS2011 so you can compare values.

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #6563 by larkar
I got a ST-link dongle in the mail a few days ago so now I am ready to buy a meter.
Logging 3840 data points for the FS2011, is that the same for the other models?
Any chance for a sample log file?

I am thinking about logging more or less only in battery power mode so an update interval that can fill the memory in about the same time as the batteries run out would be ideal.
Air plane rides and such would be one of the goals for logging. 

More
1 month 6 days ago #6901 by larkar
Ended up buying a Radiacode 103.

More
1 month 5 days ago #6902 by Simomax
Nice. I bought the Radiacode 101 when they came out a few years back. It is worth nothing that the Radiacode is only capable of detecting gamma radiation, as I found out to my surprise. I don't know why, but I had the idea it would act like my other scintillator. It doesn't. I have a few beta sources, mainly uranium sources (glaze, ore, glass) but also a hot strontium source too, and the radiacode hardly detects them unlike a GM tube. Examples:

These are all beta emitters except Radium, which is primarily alpha.
Uranium glaze (orange) - Radiacode 0.5 μSv/hr - Gamma Scout - 4.5 μSv/hr
Uranium glaze (cream/light orange - Radiacode doesn't even register - Gamma Scout - 1.2 μSv/hr
Strontium 90 @ 10cm - Radiacode 0.4 μSv/hr - Gamma Scout - 20 μSv/hr
Strontium 90 @ 1cm - Radiacode 11 μSv/hr - Gamma Scout - 350 μSv/hr
Radium paint - Radiacode doesn't even register - Gamma Scout - 1.1 μSv/hr

When I first go the Radiacode 101 I want through my collection of sources to see the spectrum but was quite disappointed when it wasn't registering much. It seems to register a tiny amount of hard beta, but not much at all. The Gamma Scout does a much better job at detecting beta. I took both out with me a couple of times to antique shops looking for anything radioactive and found the Radiacode to really lack finding anything. Uranium glass, some old aircraft meter with radium paint on the hands and dial was just not showing on the Radiacode, but was with the Gamma Scout. Then the penny dropped that the Radiacode is for gamma only, really. The spectrum does work with some sources when left for a long time, as in a few days, but it picks up a bit of noise and with just the daughter products it is hard to get a great spectrum. It does work, just not quite as I expected. I guess I expected it to be something like my other scintillator but they are worlds apart.

All that said, I love it to bits. It's the first counter I pick up to check anything and is packed full of good, useful features. It works great with my PC and phone so will be handy to test out when I eventually get around to making a lead shielded chamber.

I don't think it would work with radmon either, not that I have even tried, but I don't think there is any easy way to get the CPM out of it.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds