When the shit hits the fan

More
7 years 10 months ago #2148 by Gamma-Man
I am interested in how people with geigercounters are prepared in case of a NPP accident.
Do you have iodine tablets?
Have you got these pills from the authorities?
Can you buy iodine tablets without any restrictions in your area?
How far away from the nearest NPP do you live?
Have you estimated how long time it will take before radioactive wind will reach your home in “normal” windspeed with wind towards you?

Can you give me your thoughts?

Carl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #2149 by mw0uzo
Replied by mw0uzo on topic When the shit hits the fan
I have them for entirely this reason. My simplest GC runs off lithium watch battery cells which have a long shelf life and use time. It has no scale. The batteries in it have been in there for over 5 years with little voltage drop. When SHTF, I want to know I'm moving in a direction where levels are dropping, whether rainfall is hot, whether radiation is staying out of any shelter. Whether the car is contaminated. Even foodstuffs, though its difficult with a simple GC.

The rest - radmon, homebrew GC with displays and measuring some sources are just a great side benefit.

I'm 99% sure I'll never need to use the GCs. But I'd kick myself if I didn't have them when they were needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gamma-Man

More
7 years 10 months ago #2150 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic When the shit hits the fan
Food for thought for sure. On my radiation page, there is a link that takes you to the USA map, and you can check and see how close you are within NPP around you. As it would have it for me, for my location, I'm with 32 miles, 56 miles and 65 miles from 3 NPP's. :huh: For those of us in the USA and haven't seen this: http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/nuclear_power_plants_locations/

More
7 years 10 months ago #2152 by Gamma-Man
Ok, but:
Do you have iodine tablets?
Have you got these pills from the authorities?
Can you buy iodine tablets without any restrictions in your area?

More
7 years 10 months ago #2153 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic When the shit hits the fan
No, I don't, but do know my pharmacy next door from me does stock them, I will have to ask about them and see what it would take to get some. :dry:

More
7 years 10 months ago #2154 by Bert490
Replied by Bert490 on topic When the shit hits the fan
I live about 12 miles and 24 miles upwind of 2 NPPs, and 100 miles downwind of another. I bought my own KI tablets over the Internet over a year ago, and recently discovered the local government now gives them out for free. They mailed them to everyone within 10 km (6 mi) of a NPP and will send them upon request to anyone within 50 km. The program is due to a national regulatory deadline of Dec 2015. Before this regulation, the Canadian government published in 2014 the following comparative statement on KI policies in the USA and elsewhere. It's 2 years old so may be different now (see link ).

The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission requires KI pill distribution to be “considered”, rather than “required”. This allows individual states to decide whether or not to pre-distribute KI pills. Several approaches are used, with some states choosing to pre-distribute the pills, while others prefer to maintain local stockpiles. Pre-distribution is done by several means, including door-to-door and mail.

U.S. States without KI distribution programs for the general population that have nuclear power plants within their borders include: Arkansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, Georgia, Michigan, Texas, Iowa, Minnesota, Washington, Kansas, Missouri and Wisconsin.

U.S. States with KI distribution programs for general population are divided into two groups. States who Stockpile KI for post-incident distribution and states who Pre-distribute (includes stockpiling for post-incident distribution). Those who Stockpile include: Alabama, Florida, Mississippi and Arizona and those who pre-distribute include: California, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Connecticut, New Jersey, Tennessee, Delaware, New York, Vermont, Illinois, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, West Virginia, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania.

Other countries that pre-distribute KI pills include France, Czech Republic, Finland, Sweden and Switzerland – to name just a few. Each country sets different distances around their NPPs to pre-distribute KI pills, with some countries also stockpiling pills at schools, pharmacies and local businesses.

Some countries like Germany and most of the United Kingdom stockpile KI pills at certain locations, to be distributed by emergency services if required.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds