PyRadmon install and set up on Raspberry Pi (Wheezy Raspbian)

More
9 years 1 month ago #909 by ThibmoRozier
Oooh, please do share how you managed it, or make a pull request to the repository?
And normally it should update quite quickly.
I think it needs 4 samples as a minimum?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #910 by mw0uzo
Your password is incorrect. PM sent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jnissen

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 4 weeks ago #912 by jnissen
Thanks let me check what is in the file. I thought I set it correctly...

UPDATE:
Sure enough I had the wrong PW in the field! I'll let it run for a while and see if it reports in OK. If this works I will report all what I did.

Well it's reporting in just fine. The fixes... Really was not a big thing after all. Most of the trouble was traced back to the GMC-300 detector unit I own. I used the mini-term program running on the Beagle Bone Black to debug the operation. The response times to commands that were issued to the unit seem to be variable. In some cases the delays could be quite noticeable. I believe the GMC firmware is not interrupt driven or they are doing something stupid that tends to inject variable delays. That got me thinking about default timeouts in the program. You provided at least half a dozen different versions of the gmc class program. We did not really change any of the defaults. I went and doubled all the default times for timeouts. I did not alter the sleep times nor any of the other classes times. Essentially I did a search for "time" and anywhere it looked like a default I doubled it! Not very scientific but it's working like a champ.

I did ensure that the BBB was updated to the latest patch level and ensured that the PySerial was at the latest release as well. In both cases the SD image I had loaded was proper. SO I am convinced it was not as much a BBB problem but much more a GMC problem we have been fighting all along. I am now able to login via SSH through the WiFi interface (using a small powered hub with USB dongle and GMC unit plugs into the hub as well). The only other connection is a power cable. I plan to toss the whole thing into a plastic box and mount it outdoors. I hope to communicate with it via the WiFi interface.

.ps I did all these edits to the latest development level code you released. I did not try to do this on the various hacked code revisions you provided. I decided to go back to a known good level and apply these fixes. It worked!
Last edit: 9 years 4 weeks ago by jnissen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThibmoRozier

More
9 years 4 weeks ago - 9 years 4 weeks ago #917 by jnissen
Working well! Thanks for the support guys.

Next issue is how to start the application automatically. I tried a cron entry like this

@reboot python /full_path/PyRadmon.py &

It starts up as I can see the process but it never reports in. I even tried a sleep.time (30.0) before any real code is encountered in the script to let the wifi interface come up. I can see the WiFi power up and get configured and that occurs about 20 seconds after power up. I figured if the python script were started early then the WiFi may not have been configured. If I manually kill the PyRadmon (the cron started version) and restart it on the command line then it works fine.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #922 by ThibmoRozier
You could try to use init.d

Though you should then create a shell script that will start the python file.

More info: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12973777/how-to-run-a-shell-script-at-startup
The following user(s) said Thank You: jnissen

More
9 years 4 weeks ago - 9 years 4 weeks ago #924 by jnissen
I tried a couple different things last night. Appears to be working now. I did have to wrap the python in a shell script to start it properly though. Thanks for the help.Working automatically now and totally hands free. One of the fixes in the shell script was to sleep for about 90 seconds after power up to allow the BBB to configure the USB and WiFi. Once that is setup then the python script is launched and works well.

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds