PyRadmon install and set up on Raspberry Pi (Wheezy Raspbian)

More
8 years 11 months ago #1145 by ThibmoRozier

Hi,
I ran my system fine for a few months with no problem but recently started getting "Error communicating with server gieiger 1
Errorno --3 Temp Failure in Name Res

I used to get this when first switching on, but it usually cleared after a few tries. Has anyone any ideas please?

Regards,

Paul

Dear Paul,

Do you have any extra information on this issue?
Errorno --3 seems odd to me, as it normally is something like "error [Errno 3]", which means that there is a process being called that's non-existent.
This could be either a RAM or CPU issue.
The rest of the message stated something totally different, that would typically be the following "error [Errno 2] temporary failure in name resolution." which would mean that there is an issue with the DNS.
This could be caused by either a proxy-server or by issues with the DNS protocol in your Raspberry Pi or there is an issue with the modem/router/switch.

I would need more information to be sure.
If you are using a proxy, then please attempt to run without the proxy and see what results you get.

Please do reply with the information or result.

Kind regards,

Thimo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #1156 by VoodooServ
I run script & work fine. How i can check after close PuTTy is script work correct?

More
8 years 11 months ago #1157 by ThibmoRozier
The best practice is to use screen in this case, due to the RPi having some issues surrounding PuTTy, sometimes it stops script execution upon closing the terminal.
With screen you open a separate "virtual" terminal that will keep running as a background worker, I use it too.
Then you can check on this website if you have any new readings on the map. :)

More
8 years 11 months ago #1158 by VoodooServ
I use on debian linux on PC. If i run script ..... work fine. After i close PuTTy & start again i not find process in "ps x".

I need help. How i start script permanently?

More
8 years 11 months ago #1176 by jnissen
I run a shell that starts the PyrRadmon.py script. This way it can remain in the background running.

It's called launcher.sh and I put this in the same directory as PyRadmon. The sleep 100 is to allow my Beaglebone Black to reboot, start the USB and WiFi processes before it actually launches the python script.

#!/bin/sh
# launcher.sh
# navigate to home directory, then to this directory, then execute python script, then back home

cd /home/debian/RadMon
sleep 100
python PyRadmon.py

Not complex but it works well. The launcher is started automatically upon reboot. Look for how to start an app at startup and you should find the necessary files to mod to enable that.

More
8 years 11 months ago #1177 by jnissen
On a related topic I have had great luck with my Beaglebone running now for a couple of months. I do however notice that the PyRadmon script will not report in properly. Only occurs about once every two weeks or so. I checked the /var/logs area for the error logs related to my network. A couple of the times it was related to my WiFi router being hung up for some reason. THe other day it was different. I could rsh into the Beaglebone fine and the PyRadmon script said it was running but the update on the server said it's last communication was 8 hours earlier. I guess it could have been your server being offline or something. Where can I check to see if there was any errors?

Moderators: Gamma-Man
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds